Friday, February 18, 2011

Week 6 -- "Fie on the Falsehood of Men"

I have selected female rhetoricians Jane Anger and Rachel Speght as the foci of my reading response paper. I chose these two women for a number of reasons: each accomplished some "first" (e.g. Anger holds status as the first woman to be on paper for discussing how language constructs gender and Speght holds such in regards to pointing out the real-world implications jokes and banter on women have), each writes in extremely poetic, pleasing styles (both use imagery, metaphors, and analogies), and to each I responded with some kind of emotion or excitement ignited by the passion both demonstrate while making their plea or call to action. My (working) thesis will focus on analyzing the similarities of their rhetorical styles, but will also note definitive differences between these two women. Main points to support this thesis will include looking at their approach to their message, how they construct it, the content within, and to whom each targets her message. One particular difference I noted rests in how they each make their arguments in terms of language and citations. Anger displays in indirect ways her level of education by noting the gods and goddesses and drawing on the Surfeiter's book for her argument. Contrarily, Speght demonstrates a comprehensive and profound education, particularly in regard to Latin, classical literature, and rhetoric. For instance, she draws on Socrates to make her argument against Swetname in "Mouzell for Melastomus."
In looking at theses two authors, I chose the best method of comparison would be to do a rhetorical analysis. In this regard I can analyze how they insure their credibility, how they arranged their piece and why, which rhetorical appeal they most implement, and where strengths and weaknesses exist within each piece of writing. Also, I plan to include some cultural and social context of the Renaissance, when both women made their arguments. For example, I believe the dominant views of the "natural" condition of women at that time is significant to understanding both Speght's and Anger's writings.

No comments:

Post a Comment